Cookies and GDPR consent
What you need to know.
EU and UK have been updating their laws especially regarding cookies.
Cookies = small piece of information stored on your browser from a website
They can be first party cookies on your website
Or third party cookies from others
Owner of websites need to manage cookies.
Which laws govern cookies?
The so called cookie law and GDPR (2018)
These two laws regulate cookies, according to privacy directives in Europe.
They can vary from country to country.
The core however is the same, implementation per country, might be different.
- Visible cookie banner
- Consent required via opt-in
- A valid legal basis
- Informed, explicit, freely given consent
- Ability to Remove consent / keep track of consent (who, when, …)
- Honor user rights
- Points of variance
- Cookie lifetime
- explicit accept/reject options
- Per category consent
- Other legal bases like legitimate interest
- Consent for Analytic cookies
- The use of cookie walls
- Proof/records of consent
- Simple proof shows if it happens or not
- GDP must include consent (who, when)
- Powered by a Collection mechanism
- Using Cookie / consent solution records
- With Convenient dashboard using unique user ID
- Third party considerations
Ex : Google personalized ads need consent
Make sure to check applicable laws. Some only accept strictly necessary cookies
What is the Best Practice
- Play it safe regarding analytic in particular
- Use legitimate means to maximize consent like purpose
- Have a verifiable consent
- Use Default cookie lifetime
- Use legitimate tools to maximize consent.
- Keep it simple, clear and minimize the options.
Free scripted from a webinar by Iubenda
They have the best System for cookie banner allowing prior blocking of cookies
or getting consent from users
Get help for the legal requirements
And focus on your business
Thank you for likes, comment and share!
To your success.
Invest in your future & learn
Learn affiliate marketing & build your own website with an awesome community and join me there. You can be a free starter for as long as needed. It includes free hosting and basic teachings. If you are an advanced user, you may like to level up. Just have a look, and see for yourself!